Canon 55-250mm F/4.0-5.6 Overview
Suitable for distant subject matter, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is an 88-400mm-equivalent zoom for Canon APS-C DSLRs. This lens’s long reach is enhanced by the inclusion of an Ultra-Low Dispersion element, which helps to greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for greater clarity and color accuracy throughout the zoom range. A Super Spectra coating is also featured, and minimizes flare and ghosting in order to produce greater contrast when working in bright lighting conditions. Benefitting both photo and video applications, an STM stepping AF motor is used to realize quick and near-silent autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a four-stop-effective Image Stabilizer system is also featured and minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
- Telephoto zoom is designed for APS-C-format Canon EF-S-mount DSLRs and provides an 88-400mm equivalent focal length range.
- One Ultra-Low Dispersion glass element noticeably reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity and color fidelity.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- Enhanced lens coatings minimize flare and ghosting in order to produce true colors with maintained contrast.
- An STM stepping AF motor realizes smooth, near-silent autofocus that is complemented by a rear focus system, advanced AF algorithms, and a high-speed CPU for fast AF performance. Additionally, full-time manual focus override is also available.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.